Integrity in federal politics
Restore integrity to politics by tackling corruption, dishonesty and discrimination.
Kylea has committed to working towards:
- Supporting a truly independent, well-resourced Australian Federal Integrity Commission with teeth, like that advocated in Helen Haines’ Integrity Bills.
- Legislative reform to ensure truth in political advertising.
- Legislative reform to curtail the influence of money in politics: including caps on individual donations, greater transparency and real reporting of all forms of donations including ticketing for events and other 'gifts' and real-time donation reporting.
- Better budget oversight to stop “pork barrelling” and the waste and mismanagement of public funds, including stronger business case development, cost benefit reporting and tendering and grants transparency.
- Appropriate and stronger powers for both the Parliamentary Budget Office and the Australian National Audit Office.
So far, North Sydney has achieved:
- A stronger National Anti-Corruption Bill via inclusion of multipartisan oversight.
- Development of the first ever binding Code of Conduct for all Parliamentarians and their staff.
- Continued advocacy for the release of Julian Assange.
- Input into a review of electoral campaign funding and political donations.
- Scrutinising the Government’s proposals in relation to strengthening whistleblower protections and reforming Australia’s privacy laws.
- Continue to pursue greater transparency and mandate genuine community consultation for Infrastructure Australia
LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS
Question in Writing about Flight Routes for International Airlines
Kylea has written to the Hon. Catherine King MP, Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, querying how the Government decides whether or not to allow additional flight routes for international airlines like Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines.
Submission on the NSW Federal Electorate Redistribution
Kylea has made a submission to the Redistribution Committee for NSW, recommending the Division of North Sydney be expanded North and East to absorb the balance of Wiilloughby LGA and North Sydney LGA, while other boundaries be retained.
More than 60 Australian MPs urge US to let WikiLeaks founder walk free
The Guardian, 14 September 2023
More than 60 Australian federal politicians have explicitly called on the US to drop the prosecution of Julian Assange, warning of “a sharp and sustained outcry in Australia” if the WikiLeaks founder is extradited.
Whistleblower Protections and Whistleblower Prosecutions
Kylea has signed a crossbench joint letter calling for the Government to commit to stronger whistleblower protections and drop prosecutions against Richard Boyle and David McBride.
Letter in support of US delegation re: Julian Assange
Kylea has co-signed a letter in support of the Australian parliamentary delegation that is travelling to the United States to advocate for Julian Assange's release.
Jailing whistleblowers would ‘stain’ Australia’s reputation, crossbench MPs say
The Guardian, 13 September 2023
A group of 30 crossbench MPs and senators, including Kylea, has called on the Government to commit to stronger whistleblower protections and drop prosecutions against Richard Boyle and David McBride.