Healthy and productive families and communities
A holistic coordinated vision for Australian families which supports communities across a lifetime and reforms and recharges our health services.
Kylea has committed to working towards:
- Priority funding of quality public education and increased support for post-high school education, training, and research.
- A coordinated response to identify and address underlying systemic issues driving unprecedented mental health distress.
- An immediate ‘Interim Review’ of our experiences during COVID-19 to enable better planning and greater preparedness; including the release of final recommendations on the Medicare Item number review.
- Revitalising and increasing our health and aged care workforce.
- Establishing a National Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, and the roll-out of an appropriately resourced National Preventive Health Strategy.
So far, North Sydney has achieved:
- Progress around reforming marketing of harmful products including gambling, junk food, alcohol, and nicotine/vaping.
- Launch of the the Parliamentary Friends of Youth Mental Health to deliver real change for young people living with mental health challenges.
- Advocacy for Early Education & Childcare Centres and workers in relation to visas and pay gaps
- Advocacy for better recognition of failures in the working environment for nurses
- Input into a revitalised National Strategy for the Care and Support Economy.
- Advocacy for a fairer national student loan scheme.
- Assistance with over $330,000 in new grants to local community projects, including schools infrastructure upgrades, domestic violence and mental health services, religious organisations, grassroots sports clubs, men’s sheds, scouts, community gardens and more.
- The inaugural North Sydney Youth Summit involving two delegates from each high school across the electorate. This group will meet regularly to ensure young Australians have a voice in how they are represented in Canberra.
- Convene a Housing Summit to bring together key stakeholders to workshop solutions to the housing and rental crisis.
- Continue to advocate for initiatives to specifically address intergenerational inequity.
LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS
Reducing Power Bills for Renters
Kylea has signed a crossbench joint letter calling for the Government to implement policies to help renters access renewables and more energy-efficient appliances.
The Worsening Rental Crisis in Australia
Kylea has made a submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs' Inquiry into the Worsening Rental Crisis in Australia.
Teals say Hard Solo doesn’t pass the pub test
Sydney Morning Herald, 9 August 2023
Kylea will host talks between her fellow crossbenchers and industry figures about the growing number of alcoholic drinks marketed to underage drinkers after a “hard” version of the popular soft drink Solo was approved for sale in Australia.
North Sydney Housing and the HAFF Bill
Care & Support Economy
Kylea's submission to the draft National Strategy for the Care and Support Economy, June 2023