First Nations Voice
The 2023 Voice Referendum on Saturday 14th October will allow every Australian to have their say on whether our Constitution should be amended to recognise First Nations people as the first inhabitants of this land, and to provide them with a constitutionally enshrined “Voice to Parliament”.
As your Federal MP, I am committed to ensuring everyone who lives in the North Sydney electorate is fully prepared to vote. Please note that, unlike other elections you may have been involved in, you will be required to physically write the words either YES or NO on the ballot card.
While we may not all agree on the final vote, I will work tirelessly to ensure everyone feels the conversation had within our community is fair, balanced, and well-informed.
Our team of volunteers for North Sydney for the Voice will continue to be out in numbers for the coming weeks. I will be there with them (for non-sitting weeks of Parliament) to ensure all the North Sydney voters are given the chance to engage with the campaign for the Voice and where necessary to answer any questions to the best of my ability.
Personally I will be supporting a positive outcome for the referendum but ultimately we must all make up our own minds on how we will cast our vote.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
By submitting this, you will receive regular updates from Kylea about the Voice and other news relevant to the North Sydney electorate.
- VOICE REFERENDUM FAQ: A printable A4 document about the proposed Voice to Parliament and how referendums work. This document is also available in Chinese (simplified) and Chinese (traditional).
- SHELLEY REYS AO: Dispelling the myths about the Voice - a short explainer video by Shelley Reys, KPMG Partner and Board Member and CEO of Arrilla Indigenous Consulting.
- RACHEL PERKINS: Interview with Rachel Perkins, Co-Chair of Australians for Indigenous Constitutional Recognition.
- YES 23: A campaign to support Indigenous Constitutional recognition, with a great list of FAQs.
- TOGETHER, YES: A movement that aims to enable people to participate in kitchen table conversations built on respect, safety, listening and learning, about a Voice to Parliament.
- RECONCILIATION AUSTRALIA: Information about the upcoming referendum, the proposal and why a Voice to Parliament is needed.
- 10 QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VOICE TO PARLIAMENT: Writing in The Conversation, three non-Indigenous and Indigenous academics answer key questions arising in the Voice debate.
- MOVING FORWARD WITH THE ULURU STATEMENT: Video of a pre-election conversation between Kylea Tink and Thomas Mayo, a signatory of the Uluru Statement from the Heart and National Indigenous Officer of the Maritime Union of Australia.
- REFERENDUM (MACHINERY PROVISIONS) AMENDMENT BILL 2022: Kylea speaks in Parliament on the referendum for the Voice to Parliament.
- CONSTITUTION ALTERATION (ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER VOICE) 2023: Kylea speaks in Parliament on the referendum for the Voice to Parliament.
- THE VOICE TO PARLIAMENT EXPLAINED: Article with links to information and articles on various aspects of the Voice debate.
- TRANSLATED AND ACCESSIBLE INFORMATION: Resources from the Australian Electoral Commission about the Voice Referendum
- THE GUARDIAN: Fact-checking of the Vote Yes and Vote No pamphlets.
- NOEL PEARSON ON ABC INSIDERS: Interview with David Speers, September 9 2023.
LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS
Q+A: Bad Behaviour, Bushfires & Rebuilding Reputations
ABC, 11 September 2023
On Q+A, Kylea spoke about needing better behaviour in Parliament, and why she is voting Yes in the Voice Referendum.
Interview about the Voice Referendum
Sky News, 23 August 2023
Kylea shares her hope that the announcement of a Voice Referendum date will "get politicians out of the way and actually let the community have the conversations it needs to have in terms of how we move forward".